Reubin Gordin

Merchant
1911-1912

Main Street
Manning, SC

FAMILIES: Gordin

Reubin Gordin, who immigrated from Lomsk, Russia around 1905 with his brothers, Louis Gordin (1880-1962) and Morris Gordin (1885-1957), and opened Gordin Brothers in Orangeburg by 1907, subsequently opened the Globe Store in Manning in 1911. More commonly known as Reubin Gordin, the store sold dry goods, clothing, shoes, and notions. After Reubin Gordin was declared bankrupt in early 1912, the store’s contents were sold at auction in April for $850.

Main Image: Announcement for Reubin Gordin’s new dry goods store in Manning, 1911. Reprinted from the Manning Times, August 23, 1911

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu