Abraham Addlestone (1879-1941) and his wife, Rachel (1880-1970), left Russian for England in the early 1900s. There, they had their two oldest sons, Jacob (1902-1977) and Hyman (1907-1984). In 1909, Abraham left England for the United States. Rachel and the two boys came over in 1912, and the family then made their way south to Charleston. The Addlestones initially lived at 38 Mary Street, with Abraham working as a “country merchant.” By 1915, the family had moved to 12 Nassau Street, where Abraham operated a retail grocery business. They would remain there until 1921, when they moved to 22 Radcliffe Place. At that time, Abraham closed his grocery business and resumed work as a country merchant. The family moved again in 1924, this time to 70 St. Phillip Street. According to his obituary in The Item (Sumter, SC) the Abraham and Rachel moved to Sumter in 1929.1 There, Abraham would establish the Sumter Iron and Metal Company. In addition to working as a grocer and country merchant in Charleston, Abraham also worked as a junk dealer at 6 Cumberland Street in 1917.
1 “Addlestone Funeral Tomorrow Morning,” The Item, September 20, 1941.