In 1904, Hyman (1875-1928) and Anna Barth Zalin (1880-1933) and their three daughters left their home in Volkovysk, Russia (present-day Vawkavysk, Belarus) and traveled to Hamburg, Germany. There, they boarded the ship SS Maltke, and arrived in New York City on July 10th of that year. By 1906, the family, which had grown by two more children, moved south to Walterboro, SC, where Hyman and Anna would establish department store H. Zalin. The Zalin family added another child in 1909. A family business, the Zalin children also helped out around the store. H. Zalin appears to have closed around the time of Anna’s death in 1933.
Main Image: Advertisement for millinery at H. Zalin. Reprinted from The Press and Standard (Walterboro, SC), May 12, 1909.