After the Civil War, Charles H. Moise (1830-1896), a former partner in wholesale grocery business Thos. J. and C.H. Moise, started his own wholesale grocery, liquor, and gunpowder business at 15 Hayne Street in Charleston, South Carolina. Relocated to 9 Hayne Street in 1867, the business distributed goods across the state. In February 1869, Moise declared bankruptcy, which marked the end of C.H. Moise & Co. The following year, Moise moved to Sumter, where he continued to work as a wholesale merchant.
Main Image: C.H. Moise & Co. advertisement. Reprinted from The Charleston Daily News, November 23, 1865.
Above Image: C.H. Moise & Co. advertisement. Reprinted from The Abbeville Press and Banner, March 29, 1867.