Camden Iron & Metal Co.


Camden, SC

FAMILIES: Schlosburg

In the late 1930s, brothers Carl (1905-1961) and Leon Schlosburg (1900-1976) founded the Camden Iron & Metal Company. Collecting scrap metal, tires, rags, tubes, and auto batteries for sale to recycling companies, Camden Iron & Metal Company received a merit award from the United States War Production Board, which set quotas for scrap metal collectors across the county during World War II. The company remained in operation until around 1950, although Leon appears to have left the business sometime in the 1940s to manage the local supper club Sarsfield.

Main Image: Camden Iron & Metal Company advertisement. Reprinted from The Camden Chronicle, January 23, 1942.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918