Davis Battery Electric Co.

Merchant
1926-1994


Greenville, SC

FAMILIES: Davis; Kaufmann

In 1912, Victor Davis (1895-1958), son of David Peha and Balissa Alihedeff, immigrated to the United States from the Isle of Rhodes. After he arrived in the United States, Davis married Mollie Kaufmann (1898-1987), who immigrated from Romania in 1912. After their marriage, the couple moved to Flint, Michigan, where Victor worked in the car manufacturing industry. In the fall of 1922, the Davises moved to Greenville, South Carolina to help Mollie’s brother, Harry Kaufmann, run his auto parts business after he fell ill. After his promised stake in Harry’s business failed to materialize, Davis left and started his own auto parts business, Davis Battery Electric Co., in 1926. Davis Battery Electric Co. eventually opened multiple locations in Greenville, and even included a battery delivery service. After Davis died in 1958, his three sons, Alex (1922-2007), Jack (1920-2017), and Louis (1925-2006), ran the business until they sold it in 1994.

Main Image: Davis Battery Electric Co. Courtesy Bobbie Jean Davis Rovner

 

Above: Louis, Victor, Mollie, and Alex Davis, c.1955. Courtesy Bobbie Jean Davis Rovner

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com