Famous Shoe Company


235 Richland Avenue W
Aiken, SC 29801

FAMILIES: Poliakoff

Samuel “Sam” Poliakoff (1875-1925) immigrated from Kamin, Russia to the United States in the 1890s. On May 9, 1894, Aiken granted S. Poliakoff a peddler license. By 1900, the Census enumerator in Aiken recorded Samuel Poliakoff as being engaged in dry goods retail. Around 1904, Samuel Poliakoff opened the Famous Shoe Company inside the Aiken Hotel (present-day 235 Richland Avenue W). Samuel Poliakoff’s shoe business existed until around 1908 when he moved his family to open stores in Laurens and later Anderson.  

Main Image:

Advertisement for the Family Shoe Store, 1904. Reprinted from the Aiken Journal, September 23, 1904. 

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918