Gordin Brothers

1909? – 1930?

36 S. Main Street
Sumter, SC

FAMILIES: Gordin, Levine, and Roth

Brothers Louis Gordin (1880-1962), Morris Gordin (1885-1957), and Reubin Gordin (1887-1937) immigrated from Lomsk, Russia between 1905 and 1906 and settled in South Carolina. They changed their last name from Gorodinskaya to Gordin and opened Gordin Brothers in Orangeburg by 1907. The store expanded to Sumter by 1909, where Morris and his brother, Louis Gordin (1880-1962) leased 36 S. Main Street. Morris lived in Sumter in 1910, in Elloree in 1920, and then again in Sumter in 1930. He married Sarah Levine Gordin (1892-1951) of Baltimore and together they had two children, Marilyn Gordin Roth (1926-2003) and David Gordin (1928-2013). The family moved to Summerton sometime after 1930, where Morris opened M. Gordin on Main Street. Louis moved to Pinewood, where he ran L. Gordin, a dry goods business, for more than 40 years.

Main Image: The Yelman and Gorodinskaya families, circa 1923. Image courtesy Rachel Gordin Barnett

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918