Harby Brothers

Merchant
1881-1883


Sumter, SC 29150

FAMILIES: Harby

In 1881, Horace Harby (1846-1905) joined his brother Henry J. Harby (1858-1938) to form Harby Brothers. The pair sold wagons and wagon parts for the Wilson, Childs & Co Wagon Works of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as well as horses, mules, and farm supplies.

Above: Reprinted from The Watchman and Southron, August 9, 1881

 

Reprinted from The Watchman and Southron, January 3, 1882

 

Reprinted from The Watchman and Southron, October 2, 1882

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com