Harby & Co.

Merchant
1895-1922


Sumter, SC 29150

FAMILIES: Harby

Located at 9 West Liberty Street in Sumter, Harby & Co. (1895-1922) sold horses, mules, buggies, carriages, harnesses, farm products, and building material. Harby & Co. succeeded Henry J. Harby’s business, H. Harby, which also sold horses, mules, buggies, carriages, harnesses, farm products, and building material.

Above: Reprinted from The Watchman and Southron, February 1, 1922

Reprinted from The Watchman and Southron, April 17, 1895

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com