King’s Men’s Shop

late 1930s-c.1980

Rock Hill, SC


In the late 1930s, Benjamin Kurtz (1908-1980) and his wife, Margaret Bogen Kurtz (1909-1981) moved from Newberry to Rock Hill. Soon after they arrived in Rock Hill, Benjamin Kurtz opened a women’s clothing store on Main Street called The Smart Shop. Kurtz later opened a men’s clothing store in Rock Hill called King’s Men’s Shop, which his brother, Albert Kurtz (1903-1973), managed until his death.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918