Louis (1870-1940) and Dina Goldiner (1869-1942) immigrated to the United States around 1890, with Louis coming from Eastern Europe and Dina coming from Kawinetz, Poland. For the next twenty years, the Goldiners lived in New York, with Louis working as a neckwear manufacturer. After 1910, Louis, Dina, and their four children moved to Manning County, South Carolina. In both Turbeville, South Carolina and New Zion, South Carolina, Louis opened stores under the name L. Goldiner. By November of 1916, however, he had declared bankruptcy and closed his stores.