Marcus Barshay (1872-1950) was born in Latvia to Samuel Barshay and Helen Epstein Barshay. In 1892, he immigrated to the United States. He lived in New York City until he moved to Orangeburg, South Carolina in 1897. That year, he established clothing store M. Barshay & Co. on Russell Street. Barshay ran this store until his death on December 31, 1950, after which his business partner, Joseph Marcus (1881-1964) took over the store and renamed it Barshay & Marcus. In addition to M. Barshay & Co., Barshay opened Barshay’s Department Store in Summerville in 1905, which he operated until he passed it on to his sons, Aaron (19202-1979) and Samuel (1908-1980), in 1949.
Main Image: M. Barshay & Co. advertisement. Reprinted from The Times and Democrat, September 8, 1949.