MacDonald-Wilkins Store

Grocery
c.1890-c.1950


St. Helena Island, SC

FAMILIES: Keyserling

In 1880, William Keyserling (1869-1951) immigrated to the United States from Russia. After he settled in Beaufort, Keyserling worked for the MacDonald-Wilkins Company, where he ran their store at Wilkins, South Carolina for some time. After years of work, Keyserling eventually became a full partner within the MacDonald-Wilkins Company, which owned several general stores throughout Beaufort County and engaged itself in the cotton industry. Keyserling later ran the store on St. Helena Island, located in the historic Corner Store and Office, for the MacDonald-Wilkins Company.

Main Image: MacDonald-Wilkins Company property on St. Helena Island
Courtesy of Special Collections, College of Charleston Libraries

 

Above: William and Jennie Keyserling wedding portrait (ca.1907)
Courtesy of Special Collections, College of Charleston Libraries

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com