Miss D. Geisberg began as a millinery, dry goods and shoe store and later rebranded as a women’s ready-to-wear store under the name Geisberg’s Inc. Open by 1905 until at least 1942, it moved between several locations in Anderson, South Carolina. Its owner, Dora Geisberg (1872-1945), employed many of her relatives, including: her father, Oscar Geisberg (1845-1920), and her siblings, Max Geisberg (1882-1945), Isadore Geisberg (1880-1931), and Floride Geisberg Rubinstein (1887-1957). Although Oscar was an Austrian immigrant from Vienna and his wife, Carrie Lesser Geisberg (1856-1933), was the daughter of Russian immigrants, Dora and her siblings were all born in South Carolina. Oscar and Carrie met when Oscar traveled south to establish a mercantile business at the end of the Civil War.
In 1907, the business moved to 113 East Whitner Street, and by 1916 it relocated to 113 South Main Street. From the early 1930s until 1942, the store was known as Geisberg’s Inc, with first Edith Jacobs Geisberg (1883-1941) and later Marie Geisberg (1900-1967) serving as president. The business moved twice more, to 112 Main Street before 1936 and to 120 East Benson Street by 1942.