Owens-Surasky Men’s Shop


120 Laurens Street SW
Aiken, SC 29801


After closing his father’s business, B.M. Surasky’s, in 1961, Mandel Surasky (1898-1986) opened another store at the same location, 842 Laurens Street (present-day 120 Laurens Street SW). Mandel Surasky partnered with Manning Owen (1917-2014), a successful Aiken clothier, in operating Owens-Surasky Men’s Shop. The business lasted until 1965 when Mandel Surasky retired.  

Main Image:

Honors for Mandel Surasky, 1971. Reprinted from the Aiken Standard, December 13, 1971. 

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918