In the 1880s, H.L. Polier (1850-1921) initiated a chain migration of Jews from Eastern Europe to Aiken. One such Jewish immigrant that followed H.L. Polier in 1881 was his younger brother, Morris S. “M.S.” Polier (1860-1935), from Knyszyn, Poland. In late August 1899, M.S. Polier opened a general merchandise business in Aiken. Upon its opening, the Aiken Standard noted the fact that M.S. Polier’s business was the fifth Jewish store in the city. M.S. Polier operated his eponymous dry goods store until 1906 when he left Aiken for Atlanta.
Announcement for M.S. Polier’s dry goods business, 1899. Reprinted from the Aiken Standard, August 30, 1899.