The Nursery Center

Clothier
1952-1955

3697 Rivers Avenue
North Charleston, SC 29405

FAMILIES: Doobrow, Mendelson

Charleston native Louie Doobrow (1905-1980) and his wife, Gussie Mendelson (1906-1981), opened The Nursery Center at 3697 Rivers Avenue in North Charleston in 1952. They previously operated Eagle News Stand and Eagle Cigar Shop on King Street. After The Nursery Center closed in 1955, the couple opened Eagle Mens Store at 569 King Street.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc@cofc.edu