Wolf Liquor

Liquor Store
1945-1957

205 Richland Avenue W
Aiken, SC 29801

FAMILIES: Karloff and Wolf

Siblings Sylvia Rebecca Wolf Karloff (1903-1955), Samuel Wolf (1914-1981), and Abraham “Abe” Wolf (1916-1988) were born in Aiken to two enterprising Belarussian-born Aiken Jewish merchants, Julia Kamenoff Wolf (1884-1959) and Jacob Wolf (1874-1948). The Wolf siblings successfully tried their hands at a variety of businesses throughout their lifetime. In the summer of 1945, the brothers applied and received a permit to operate as partners a liquor store at 841 Newberry Street (present-day 205 Richland Avenue W). In the fall of 1945, Sylvia Rebecca Wolf Karloff and Abe Wolf ventured as partners in applying for and receiving a liquor license to operate a business at 1832 Park Avenue. The brothers’ business, Wolf Liquor, benefitted from Samuel Wolf, as owner of the property, leasing part of the space to Greyhound Bus Lines. For more than a decade, the business operated at that corner until the property was put up for sale in 1957. 

Main Image:Application notice for Wolf brothers’ liquor licence, 1945. Reprinted from the Aiken Standard, June 8, 1945. 

 

Below Image: Advertisement for Samuel Wolf, 1952. Reprinted from the Aiken Standard, October 17, 1952. 

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com