Barshay & Marcus


117 Russell Street
Orangeburg, SC


Joseph Marcus (1881-1964), son of German immigrants Mitchell “Michael” Marcus (c.1837-1904) and Hannah Rich Marcus (1843-1934) went to work as a clerk at local Jewish merchant Marcus Barshay’s clothing store M. Barshay & Co. around 1900. After Barshay’s death on December 31, 1950, Marcus took over the store, which he renamed Barshay & Marcus. Shortly before Marcus died in 1965, his son Milton Marcus (1919-2009) took over the business, which he ran until around 1996.

Main Image: Advertisement for downtown Orangeburg merchants. Included is Barshay & Marcus. Reprinted from The Times and Democrat, June 2, 1973.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918