Columbia Cigar and Tobacco Company

Liquor Store
1931-1966

1401-1403 Assembly Street
Columbia, SC

FAMILIES: Ginsberg; Levine

In 1931, Charleston merchant Isaac Ginsberg (1884-1956) opened the Columbia Cigar and Tobacco Company at 1403 Assembly Street. In addition to tobacco products, the store sold liquor and candy. In 1938, Ginsberg relocated the business to the South Carolina Electric and Gas Company’s old substation at 1337 Assembly Street. Ginsberg’s sons-in-law, Ben Arnold (1900-1964) and Max Levine (1909-1986) managed the store.

Main Image: Columbia Cigar and Tobacco Company advertisement. Reprinted from The State, June 30, 1949.

 

Above: Columbia Cigar and Tobacco Company advertisement. Reprinted from Lighthouse and Informer, February 21, 1953.

 

Above: Columbia Cigar and Tobacco Company advertisement. Reprinted from The Clinton Chronicle, September 20, 1945.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com