In 1921, after dissolving his commercial interests from his brothers’, Hiram Charles “H.C.” Surasky (1872-1932) opened his own store at 848 Laurens Street (present-day 116 Laurens Street SW). For the first few years, despite operating his shop without the involvement of his siblings, H.C. Surasky conducted business as the Surasky Brothers. In 1925, H.C. Surasky changed his business’ name to reflect its true ownership: H.C. Surasky. Upon his death in 1932, H.C. Surasky’s store closed.
Main Image: Advertisement for H.C. Surasky, 1925. Reprinted from the Aiken Standard, February 27, 1925.