H. Drucker

Clothier
c.1915-1947

North Main Street
McCormick, SC

FAMILIES: Drucker; Kaplan

On January 17, 1911, the Brandenburg set sail for New York from Bremen, Germany. Aboard that ship was Hyman Drucker (1892-1947), a Jew from Kartuz Beresa, Poland (present day Byaroza, Belarus). After he passed through immigration on Ellis Island, Drucker migrated south, and ended up in McCormick, South Carolina. There, he opened clothier and dry goods store H. Drucker. With the help of his wife, Clara Kaplan (1892-1965), Drucker ran the store until his death in 1947. A two-story building, the first floor of H. Drucker served as a showroom, while the second floor served as living quarters. In addition to H. Drucker, Drucker also owned a store in Honea Path, South Carolina.

Main Image: Reprinted from McCormick Messenger, March 22, 1928.

 

Above: Portrait of Hyman Drucker. Courtesy Larry Drucker.

 

Above: The safe inside H. Drucker. Courtesy Larry Drucker.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com