Hirsch’s Quality Shop


Bay Street
Beaufort, SC 29902


Harry Hirsch founded Hirsch’s Quality Shop in Beaufort in 1922. Prior to opening his Beaufort store, Hirsch worked as a merchant in Savannah, Georgia. After Hirsch died in 1925, his wife, Rae Lillian Hirsch (1898-1985) continued to run the business. In 1928, Hirsch’s Quality Shop moved into the space previously occupied by Morris Levin’s store on Bay Street. When the Hirsch’s son, Boris “Bobby” Hirsch (1924-2009), returned to Beaufort in 1945 from military service, he took over the business. Hirsch’s Quality Shop closed its doors in 1989.

Above: Reprinted from The State, September 8, 1928.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918