In 1867, Russian immigrant Joseph Ryttenberg (1820-1896) and his sons, Marcus G. Ryttenberg (1846-1906), Harry Ryttenberg (1843-1901), and Abe Ryttenberg (1861-1927), founded general merchandise store J. Ryttenberg & Sons in Sumter, South Carolina. After their store burned during a fire in 1876, J. Ryttenberg & Sons relocated several times, before eventually settling in a newly constructed building on the corner of Main and Liberty Streets in 1880. By 1889, J. Ryttenberg & Sons was the largest general merchandise business in Sumter. Reflecting their high sales volume, that year the business employed fifteen salesmen. After Joseph’s death in 1896, his sons continued to run the business until around 1905. In addition to J. Ryttenberg & Sons, Joseph Ryttenberg and his sons ran an agricultural and mercantile operation at Rose Hill Plantation in Sumter County (not to be confused with Rose Hill Plantation in Union County) and operated Sumter Brick Yard.1
1 “Some of Sumter’s Successful Sons.” The Watchman and Southron, November 20, 1889, Page 7.
Main Image: J. Ryttenberg & Sons advertisement. Reprinted from The Watchman and Southron, March 21, 1882.