Kline Iron & Metal Company

Merchant
1923-1935

1225 Huger Street
Columbia, SC

FAMILIES: Kline

In 1923, brothers Philip (1888-1965) and Myer Kline (1891-1965), who immigrated to the United States from Lithuania, founded Kline Iron & Metal Company on the corner of Huger and Gervais Streets in Columbia, South Carolina. The business dealt in scrap metal recycling until 1935, when it purchased the equipment of the defunct Shands Steel and shifted its focus to the fabrication of structural steel. The company ultimately became one of the country’s leading broadcast tower fabricators, and it remained in the Kline family until it was sold to the American Tower Corporation in 2000.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com