Brothers Herman Furchgott (1841-1912), Max Furchgott (1844-1921), and Leopold Furchgott (1852-1928), in partnership with Charles Benedict (1848-1909) of Jacksonville, Florida and Morris Kohn of New York, formed Kohn, Furchgott & Benedict in 1881. They moved the business from 275 King Street to 259 King Street shortly before the 1886 Charleston earthquake. In 1887, they rebuilt a grand structure in the same location. Both Max and Herman left Charleston in 1888, dissolving the Furchgott brothers’ 22-year partnership. Max later returned from New York in 1899 to open M. Furchgott & Co. at 265 King Street.
Main image: Kohn, Furchgott & Benedict, 259 King Street, with 1887 carved in the pediment. Image courtesy of George LaGrange Cook Photograph Collection, South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina