M. Furchgott & Co.


265 King Street
Charleston, SC 29401

FAMILIES: Furchgott, Furchtgott

Read more about the Furchgott brothers here.

In 1899, Max Furchgott (1844-1921) returned from New York to open M. Furchgott & Co. at 265 King Street. Sons Arthur (1884-1971), Melvin (1886-1960), and Oscar (1890-1949) all clerked at the business.

Main image: Furchgott banner advertising “Ladies Ready To Wear Garments” and “Dry Goods Matting, etc.” hangs over King Street, 1901, in this postcard reproduction of Morton Brailsford Pain’s photograph. Image courtesy of Special Collections, College of Charleston

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918