Lipsitz Shoes

Cobbler
1998-2011

828 Bay Street
Beaufort, SC

FAMILIES: Lipsitz

In 1998, Neil Lipsitz (1959- ), son of Lipsitz Department Store owners Joseph Lipsitz (1920-2014) and Lucille Bass Lipsitz (1930- ), opened Lipsitz Shoes at 828 Bay Street, across from Lipsitz Department Store. After more than twelve years in business, Lipsitz Shoes closed in 2011. Lipsitz began a term on the Beaufort City Council in 2020, and previously served as a docent at the Beaufort History Museum.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com