Lurey’s

Merchant
c.1915-1960

626 Pendleton Street
Greenville, SC

FAMILIES: Lurey

In 1905, Samuel Lurey (1889-1960) immigrated to the United States from Bialystok, Russia (present-day Bialystok, Poland) with his mother, Mashe Lea Lurey (1856-1932), and siblings, Annie Lurie Rosenthal (1883-1962) and Hymen Lurey (1890-1965). After they arrived in the United States, the Lureys joined their brother, Jake Lurey (1880-1946), and father, Zelick Lurey (1856-1931), in Rhode Island. Around 1909, the Lureys moved to Spartanburg, South Carolina, where Jake’s wife, Annie Hecklin Lurey (1880-1951), had family. In 1910, the Lureys moved to Greenville, South Carolina. There, Samuel went on to open general merchandise store Lurey’s at 626 Pendleton Street. He ran the store until his death in 1960. In Greenville, Samuel met his wife Ida Switzer (1891-1935).

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com