In 1948, Edward M. ‘Mickey’ Lipson (1921-2001) and his wife Celia Pinosky Lipson (1925-2013) moved from Walterboro to Beaufort and opened a shoe store at 715 Bay Street called Mickey’s Bootery. After several years at this location, the Lipsons relocated Mickey’s Bootery to 828 Bay Street. In 1969, a fire consumed the store and the neighboring Lamp Post Restaurant. After the fire, the Lipsons moved their business to a location at Beaufort Plaza. Mickey’s Bootery closed in 1980.
Main Image: Reprinted from The State, January 30, 1948.
Above: Fire Destroys the Lamp Post Restaurant and Mickey’s Bootery Shoe Store (1969)
Culp Collection, Courtesy of Beaufort County Library, (SC)