Morris Lurey


East Washington Street
Greenville, SC


In 1903, Morris Lurey (1884-1963) immigrated from Bialystok, Russia (present-day Bialystok, Poland) to Rhode Island, where his brother, Jake Lurey (1880-1946), and father, Zelick Lurey (1856-1931), already resided. In 1905, Morris’ mother, Mashe Lea Lurey (1856-1932), and siblings, Annie Lurie Rosenthal (1883-1962), Samuel Lurey (1889-1960), and Hymen Lurey (1890-1965), joined him, his father, and his brother in Rhode Island. In 1907, Morris married Mollie Dolk (1885-1983), who immigrated from Austria in 1904. Around 1909, the Lureys moved to Spartanburg, South Carolina, where Jake’s wife, Annie Hecklin Lurey (1880-1951), had family. In Spartanburg, Morris worked in a shoe store owned by Jake. After the store closed in 1910, the Lureys moved to Greenville, South Carolina. There, Morris opened a clothing and shoe store under his name on East Washington Street in 1912. The store went bankrupt in 1923. Soon thereafter, Morris opened New York Shoe Store.

Main Image: Morris Lurey advertisement. Reprinted from The Greenville News, June 22, 1921.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918