Moskow’s Men’s Store

Clothier
c.1953-c.1958

Main Street
Andrews, SC

FAMILIES: Moskow

After he graduated from high school in the late 1940s, Herbert Moskow (1929-2016), son of Eva Cox Moskow (1899-1986) and Jewish merchant Robert Moskow (1893-1965), attended The Citadel as a pre-med student. Despite his plan to become a family physician, National Guard duty and obligations to his wife, Betty Lou Blakely (1931-2015), and children forced him to discontinue his studies. By 1953, Moskow and his family had moved to Andrews, South Carolina where he opened Moskow’s Men’s Store. At age 29, Moskow closed the store and he and his family moved to Due West, South Carolina where he attended Erskine College. He then attended Medical College of South Carolina. Moskow practiced family medicine in Denmark, South Carolina from 1968 to 2010.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Norman and Gerry Sue Arnold Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation. Longtime members of the JHSSC, Mr. Arnold obm, a merchant himself, and Mr. Farbstein obm were both children of South Carolina Jewish merchants.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918
Email: jhssc2020@gmail.com