In 1920, an article in Orangeburg newspaper The Times and Democrat listed Sam Rosenblum (1899-1997) as one of the town’s Jewish merchants who donated to the creation of a “South Carolina Memorial.” In 1918, Rosenblum founded Sam Rosenblum & Co., a junk company that sold old rags, hides, and scrap iron. Months after he founded the business, Rosenblum changed its name to Orangeburg Hide and Junk Company. Orangeburg Hide and Junk Company remained in business until around 1926. Prior to founding Sam Rosenblum & Co., Rosenblum worked as a clerk in his relative Jake Rosenblum’s dry goods store, J. Rosenblum. Rosenblum purchased Orangeburg clothier The Fashion Shop in 1928.
Main Image: Orangeburg Hide and Junk Company advertisement. Reprinted from The Times and Democrat, March 16, 1918.
Above Image: Orangeburg Hide and Junk Company advertisement. Reprinted from The Times and Democrat, February 20, 1919.