Sam Richman’s Shoe Shop


19-21 W. Boyce Street
Manning, SC

FAMILIES: Clark, Leff, and Richman

Eastern European immigrants, Sam (1895-1970) and Anna Leff Richman (1898-1962) both immigrated to New York in the early 1910s where they later met and married. By 1922, the young couple moved to Manning, South Carolina and began operating Sam Richman’s Shoe Shop with assistance from Anna’s brother, David Leff (1900-1958). Likely operating the shoe store at 19-21 West Boyce Street, the Richmans also began leasing a stable on South Mill Street by 1929. According to Sylvia Clark, the Richmans shipped local furs to merchants in the North and in turn received second-hand shoes, which Sam repaired in house and sold. The store closed sometime in the 1960s.

Main Image: Advertisement placed by Sam Richman seeking a skilled African American employee to help with shoe repair at Richman’s Department store, The State, January 18, 1930


Above Image: Advertisements for Sam Richman’s Shoe Shop. Left: Reprinted from The Manning Times, November 22, 1922. Right: Reprinted from The Manning Times, November 29, 1922

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918