The Battery


39 South Main Street
Sumter, SC

FAMILIES: Krasnoff; Slovis; Hilb

In May 1915, Solomon L. Krasnoff (1874-1936), Benjamin Slovis (1892-1953), and Bertha Hilb (1848-1935) opened The Battery at 39 South Main Street in Sumter, South Carolina, from which they sold clothes, shoes, and dry goods. The Battery relocated to 33 South Main Street before it closed in 1922. Krasnoff also opened stores in Manning, Summerton, Sardinia, Bishopville, and St. Charles.

Main Image: The Battery advertisement. Reprinted from The Watchman and Southron, March 17, 1915.

The Jewish Merchant Project is supported by the generosity of the Henry & Sylvia Yaschik Foundation and the Stanley B. Farbstein Endowment at the Coastal Community Foundation.

JHSSC Office
Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center
96 Wentworth Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Phone: 843 953 3918